Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pretty doesn't mean good

So, anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely LOVE cupcakes. I'm a fanatic. Even my pseudonym has the word "cupcake" in it. Well, some time ago my good friend, Lila mentioned to me that famous cupcaketieer Sprinkles had a location here in town, so last weekend I took a visit, especially since I follow Sprinkles on Twitter (twitter.com/sprinkles) and every day they give out a secret word that gets you a free cupcake. Free and cupcake in the same sentence? I'm a goner. So, anyway, here are some pictures of the cupcakes and my review.


The packaging is very, very cute. I wanted a sticker for my day planner.

The cupcakes in their natural state. Here you see, clockwise from top left, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, Strawberry, and Lemon.


Vanilla-y goodness?

The most delicious of the bunch: Red Velvet. I got this cutie for FREE.


Strawberry.

Bye, cupcakes!

As for my thoughts on the cupcakes?
I'm very sad to say that I was not very pleased with my purchase. Each cupcake is a whopping $3.25. Yes, they're big and have a heaping helping of frosting BUT I just didn't like how they tasted, except for the Red Velvet which was very, very yummy. For me, a cupcake has to be the whole package. The cupcake and the frosting have to work together to make this confection a celebration of flavors. The cupcakes tasted very bland with no real taste, but the frosting was very rich and buttery. After a couple of bites, I was sick of it. The strawberry cupcake tasted like banana bread. I like banana bread but I was expecting strawberry. The lemon was also pretty good, but I had the same frosting problem. The only time I'd go back to Sprinkles is for a free Red Velvet cupcake. So, I will most likely be there again very soon.

Later, Cupcakes!

-melonXXXcupcake

No comments:

Post a Comment