Wednesday, February 8, 2012

SHIT THAT ANNOYS ME: Santana Lopez

Yeah, yeah, I watch Glee, let's get ALLLL those giggles out now. Are you done? Okay. So for my second (I think it's second?) installment of SHIT THAT ANNOYS ME I've decided to blog about a fictional character, Santana Lopez of Glee. I originally planned on posting about this right before the (spoiler alert) episode in which everyone finds out Santana is a lesbian and Finn, of all people makes her realize that she doesn't have to be alone in her struggle and for one lone moment we're lead to believe that the bitch has a heart. Don't get me wrong, Naya Rivera is probably the sweetest person, and hell can she sing, but the way her character has been written rubs me all kind of wrong.



If I remember correctly, Santana is supposed to be Mexican. Naya is partially of Puerto Rican descent for starters. Her Spanish... is not that great. To me, if one is going to portray a Mexican character on TV who is supposedly proud of her roots, wouldn't she be able to speak it a bit better?

Santana is mean, vindictive and manipulative. It's like the only way she can communicate is by being a total BITCH. Is that how Mexican girls are supposed to be portrayed? As firey, hot-tempered super-bitches? I thought maybe after the whole, "we love you as you are, Santana! Being a lesbian isn't the end of the world, Santana!" episode she'd calm down her bitch, but NO. On last night's episode she anonymously complained to the administration about Mr. Shue's lack of passion in teaching Spanish. INSTEAD of addressing him directly as she has had no problem in the past doing, she decided to be underhanded and go over his head.

Also, I know A LOT of people love Brittana but I, for one will call BULLSHIT. BUUUUUUUUUULLLSHIT. Lesbians are awesome and all that. Shit, I've almost never been shy to admit that I find plenty of women attractive but my qualm here is that Santana, again is manipulative. She convinced Brittany that making out with each other was innocent, was not out of love and she pushed her away tons of times. She manipulated Brittany (while she was dating Artie) into believing that their making out wasn't cheating because they were girls. Would someone who truly loves another do that to them? I don't think so. I don't care what orientation you are, that shit DOES NOT FLY. Brittany was more than willing to announce her love for Santana but Ms. Lopez was reluctant to do so. I get it, because she was afraid of her stupid HIGH SCHOOL reputation if it got out that she liked chicks, but hey, for love, wouldn't you do anything? It took her like a season and a half to finally date Brittany in public. If Brittany was my friend, I wouldn't take too kindly to Santana treating her that way.

So what do you think? Do I have Santana all wrong or did I open your eyes to the crappily-written character that she is?

~C.M. xx

1 comment:

  1. Santana's a bitch. I stopped watching Glee not because of her but because it's a routine and sure all shows are like that in a way, I just got tired of some of the shitty versions of awesome songs they did. I guess they're trying to play the whole "Santana's in a troubled place" angle and that's why she's a fire cunt to everyone. :(

    ReplyDelete