Thursday, July 21, 2011

REVIEW: Nads

Being Mexican is great, I'm not gonna lie. I love the food, the culture, the music (sometimes) and I think that comes across pretty well, but there's one thing I don't like about being a Mexican chick. My 'stache. Yep, if you didn't know, us Mexican girls are prone to getting a little bit hairy on our upper lips. Sure, it's not usually too thick or anything but it's a bit of an annoyance that we probably don't talk about too often.

I've done all kinds of depilatory methods on my upper lip and eyebrows. Waxing, threading, Nair, laser and even electrolysis. If you're wondering, electrolysis is probably the most painful even on the lowest settings and it didn't work too well for me, so no, I do not recommend it. Most effective? Laser, hands down. It is painful, but it's pretty much like waxing; hurts like a mother for three seconds but you don't have to do it again for 2-5 weeks. Anyway, so the point of this post is to tell you about my experience with Nads, which is a water-soluble sugary-molasses mix that you use like wax. Slather it on, put on a cloth strip, rip it off and bam, hair is gone. Or is it?

I read the directions carefully because the last thing I want to do is fuck up when I have to work the next damn day. Use cleansing wipe and dry completely. Okay, did that. Apply gooey stuff in direction of hair growth. Okay, did that. Place cloth on the gel, smooth down 3-4 times in direction of hair growth. Okay, did that. Now rip it off against the hair growth, close to the skin and pull skin taut. Okay, did that... Now, why is my upper lip not completely bare?

I tried several times and only once got some fine hairs to come off, but no real luck. It could be because it was hot today, and hot in my lavatory. Or maybe I put a bit too much. I'm going to use the exfoliating scrub tonight and try again tomorrow to see what the results will be, but for now it's looking like a dud which is a little bit of a shame since I wanted it to work so much. It's water-soluble! It's made from natural ingredients! You don't have to warm it up! It's non-toxic! The cloth strips are re-useable! So many pluses, except... it doesn't work just right... yet.

-C.M. xx

2 comments:

  1. I've tried that before and it didn't work for me at all. There's no point in buying it. I just use nair, it's the only thing that's been effective that didn't hurt like a bitch.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a new review for Nads that I'm going to post in a bit. Nair is alright, I just hate using chemicals on my face, which apparently is sensitive (I suspect it's the reason a vein is visible under my skin now..). Plus, it's pretty much like shaving where I'll have to use it again within 2-3 days and I'm so lazy/low maintenance.

    ReplyDelete